Sunday, January 8, 2012

PANIC




Okay how did it become the second week of January already???
I have a BIG art opening in less than a month and still have only one thing completed!!!
Enough piddling around in this studio/guest room, I have to get on the ball as using it as a studio.

Panic has set in and I am on a mission.
Supplies are tossed about and ideas are swimming on loose pages all over the place.
Time to get it together and work.

My opening is on February 3rd at the Funkhouse in Las Vegas.
It is titled "Discarded"
Centering around dolls and doll parts that little girls/boys were forced to discard for being too "tattered"
at least that is the story in my head. I remember when I was made to give up my most loved baby doll as a child because her arm came off...I would have loved that doll no matter the shape or condition she lay in. I think that most of us women who still love dolls had something of this sort happen to us. Maybe it was lost, or stolen, maybe it disappeared one day while you were at school, or forced to trash it when garbage day rolled around because you were too old to play with dolls.
I think it is a shame that little ones, boy or girl, are forced by us parents to discard something we love and find security in. Why? Can't we still love it and put it away for the memories it holds?
Why give a child stress, children grow up way too fast these days, why not let them be a child for as long as they want? Heck, I am still that little girl searching for that doll to come back home.
Maybe just maybe if I still had her, I wouldn't be constantly dragging home all the lost dolls...

9 comments:

rkbsnana said...

Hmmmmm. I can't tell if this post is sad or funny. It did put me in mind of a little doll my cousin got once that had 2 left arms. She wouldn't let her parents return it and has it now.

Ricki Treleaven said...

I love that you are a savior of dolls! :D I know you will be able to get all your projects finished in time for the opening. I love the name of it. I think it will strike a chord with most visitors!

Vintage Market Place said...

OMG, a doll with 2 left arms!!
That is amazing!!!
Love that story!

Gail said...

Well, if anyone can do it you can!!!! Love your doll story, I think all of us who love dolls have at least one!
Mine is when my older sister so coveted my doll that she tried to flush her, head first, down the toilet....it didn't work surprisingly and she got into a lot of trouble over that little incident...hahahaha.
I remember it like it was yesterday...please take tons of photos of your show. You know I'd love to be there and I love the stitching on your baby doll!

Rhonda said...

AWE, that is too cute. I can picture you with that doll. Good Lord, I'm so old I cannot even remember loving a doll that much. Maybe my Barbie but a baby doll, I don't remember them.

You keep looking for your doll, a good hunt is good for the soul!!

Jessa said...

I have a quote a friend shared with me that has helped me remain strong when things... well... suck! =D In regards to the HIT post... "just do what you love and other's will love what you do!" If you haven't heard it before it really helps! Good luck don't let anyone bring you down!

Love & Lollies... Jessa

Confessions of the Cupcake Countessa

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohh I just read your post above and I'm so sorry. Wish I could give you a hug right now, sunshine. Hope today will be better. Kisses.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I still adopt broken little dog figurines...someone needs to adopt them...and I sure don't care if they are broken!

lil red hen said...

Just ran onto your blog somehow; the abandoned dolls struck a chord with me; I found some that had been thrown away in a trash heap. I brought two home with me, cleaned them up the best I could, and put the others up against some trees, hoping some little wild creatures would find them and they could have a party together. How could anyone throw away their dolls? At least give them to a little girl who had none. Loved this post!